A car accident can be a scary experience. In the event of an injury or extensive property damage, it can be downright overwhelming. From dealing with insurance companies to finding the right paperwork needed, there are a lot of moving parts. Finding a car accident attorney who specializes in personal injury can help make the process much less complex. But if you’ve tried searching online for “best car accident lawyers near me,” you have probably been inundated with dozens of options for Indiana car accident lawyers. How do you choose the right one?
We put together this guide to finding and choosing a good personal injury attorney. Keep reading to learn more about common auto accident injuries and how to hire a personal injury lawyer who will walk you through every step and represent you to the fullest extent of the law.
Is it Worth Getting a Personal Injury Lawyer After an Auto Accident?
In many cases, it can be worth it to hire a personal injury lawyer after an auto accident resulted in an injury. For example, a lawyer may be able to help you seek financial compensation if you experienced a serious or long-term injury as a result of the collision. This is especially the case if that injury lead to medical bills, lost wages, or pain and suffering.
While not all car accident injuries are serious, some can lead to long-term or permanent symptoms, steep medical bills, and the need for surgery, therapy, or rehabilitation. Here are some of the most common injuries that occur due to car accidents, according to the National Law Review.
- Bruising: Bruising and contusions can occur with even the most minor car accident. While most bruising heals within a few weeks, some can be more severe.
- Whiplash: Whiplash is a term used to describe strains to the muscles and ligaments in the neck and back that occur when the neck rapidly moves back and forth.
- Neck and Back Injuries: Other neck and back injuries include things like a herniated or ruptured disc. These injuries may not present themselves immediately and can take a significant amount of time to heal.
- Concussions: Concussions occur when someone hits their head. They may cause headaches, memory problems, or brain fogginess. Treating head injuries as soon as possible is very important.
- Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI): Traumatic brain injuries vary from minor (like a concussion) to severe, long-term, or permanent conditions. TBIs can cause long-lasting psychological and physical symptoms.
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD): This condition is a psychological disorder that can develop as a result of an extreme event.
- Broken Bones: While not generally life-threatening, broken bones need to be treated—and some may require surgery. It can take a month or more to fully recover from a broken bone.
- Internal Bleeding: Any damage to an organ can cause internal bleeding, and this type of injury is common in high-speed accidents. Internal bleeding can be life-threatening if left untreated.
After an auto accident, it is important to seek medical attention. Medical professionals can assess any injuries you may have sustained and develop a treatment plan.
What to Look for in a Personal Injury Lawyer
When seeking a personal injury lawyer after a collision, it is important to find someone with the experiences and skills necessary to represent you to the fullest extent of the law. When researching personal injury lawyers, keep an eye out for these four characteristics:
Specializes in Car Accidents
Lawyers specialize in a type of law for a reason: there are all sorts of details and intricacies that go into any type of legal work. A lawyer who specializes in personal injury and car accidents has a deep understanding of how to develop a strong, compelling case to help you seek financial compensation.
Has a Strong Case History
When seeking a lawyer, look for one with experience with cases similar to yours. It is absolutely acceptable to ask about their case history and whether or not they have handled cases like yours. Of course, every case is unique, but this can help illustrate if they feel confident working with you.
Experiences in Taking Cases to Trial
While most injury cases are settled out of court, there are certainly cases that go to trial. In the event that you must go to trial, it is important to have a lawyer on your side with the experience necessary to fight for you and your case in court.
Trustworthy and Communicative
One of the benefits of hiring a personal injury lawyer is that they can help you understand all of your options. It is important to find a lawyer who will explain everything to you in terms you understand, walk you through each and every step, and communicate clearly and consistently throughout the process.
What Questions Should You Ask a Personal Injury Lawyer?
Typically, a first call with a personal injury lawyer is a free consultation that will allow you to meet with them, ask questions, and briefly discuss your case. In addition to the attributes discussed above, here is a short checklist of questions you can ask when choosing an attorney.
- What are the types of cases that you specialize in?
- Do you have experience with cases similar to mine?
- What options are available for my case?
- Do you see any obstacles in my case?
- What is your fee structure and how much can I expect to pay?
- Do you have any testimonials or reviews from past clients?
Broadwing Legal: The Best Lawyers for Personal Injury Cases in Indianapolis
If you have been in an auto accident and sustained an injury, it is important to find a personal injury attorney who you can trust. With Broadwing Legal you’re hiring more than a lawyer, you’re hiring an advocate. Our experienced attorneys will work with you from day one to understand your case, collect information, and fight for your legal rights. We will review all of your options and work for what is in your best interest, no matter what. We offer full transparency with open lines of communication.