Semi truck accidents can happen anywhere at any time. You can be an excellent driver, practicing safe habits, distraction free, and driving defensively, but that doesn’t guarantee your safety. Other drivers may not be as cautious, and the sad reality is that sometimes things happen outside of your control. In fact, some truck accident statistics for 2021 show an increase in big trucking accidents over the last several years.
Accidents involving 18-wheelers can cause serious loss and injury and might leave you wondering what to do next. An experienced truck accident attorney can help you understand your rights and plan your next steps. At Broadwing Legal, we know it’s completely normal for you to feel overwhelmed, unprepared, and scared after you are in an accident. Our attorneys can assist in putting your mind at ease, walking you through the truck accident settlement and verdicts process, and regaining control over your life.
In fact, we are going to start right now with this blog. The following article will explore some of the questions you may have immediately after your accident or throughout the process of working with your attorney.
How Long Does it Take to Settle a Semi Truck Accident?
The time between filing a claim and receiving a settlement check can vary dramatically on an individual basis since each accident is different. Even though you may want immediate compensation (or at least a timeline for when to expect it), there is no single answer to “how long does it take to reach a settlement?” However, while each case is unique, they all tend to follow a similar process which can help determine the length of time it will take to settle.
What is The Truck Accident Claims Process?
The truck accident claims process includes several steps and can be a daunting task. That’s why the first part of the process should be reaching out to a lawyer for a free consultation. During the free consultation, an attorney will:
- Go through your accident
- Determine if you have legal grounds to pursue compensation
- Answer your questions about what to expect
- Give you some legal advice
- Help you start making a plan of action if you decide to hire them
Once you decide to move forward with an attorney to make your claim, the remaining process will look something like this:
- Accident investigation- This phase consists of you telling your story in great detail to your attorney. Then their team will investigate the scene, collect evidence, talk to witnesses, and pursue any and all available evidence to aid in your defense. You may have to tell your story again in a formal deposition under oath, and others involved might do so as well.
- Calculating your losses- An essential part of the claims process is to accurately determine your losses or what the accident cost you. You might wonder, “What can I include in a truck accident claim?” It can contain medical expenses, lost wages, vehicle repair or replacement, personal property damage, pain and suffering, and more. Your attorney will make an itemized, evidence-backed list and keep track of running totals as time passes. It is important to note that in order to submit all of your losses, you will need to have received and completed any necessary medical treatment.
- Submitting and negotiating a settlement offer- Once your losses are calculated, your attorney may submit an initial settlement offer to the appropriate insurance company or other liable parties. If they accept, this would be the end of the process. However, in most circumstances, they will send a counter offer or completely deny liability.
- Filing a lawsuit- If you and your attorney are unable to negotiate a satisfactory settlement from the insurance company, then your attorney will ultimately file a truck accident lawsuit. Depending on the timeline, this step and #3 could happen at the same time.
- Continuing negotiating a settlement- After the lawsuit is filed, both parties may continue to try and settle outside of court. This can consist of several more rounds of back and forth negotiations working for a compensation package that not only pays your bills and fees, but leaves you with money in your pocket when it’s all said and done.
- Going to trial- If an out-of-court settlement cannot be reached, then your case will go to trial. During trial, your lawyer will make the most convincing argument for your case in front of a jury. Then, depending on the verdict of your case, you will walk away with the compensation you deserve.
How Much Money Do You Get From a Semi Truck Accident?
It depends. The claims process might have you wondering what kind of dollar amount you should expect from a settlement. However, just like the amount of time it takes to settle the case, the final settlement amount is unique to each case. Ultimately, the most important thing is that you walk away with a satisfactory compensation package. A good attorney will make sure you win more than enough money to pay your bills and fees and enough to move forward with your life after your accident.
Broadwing Legal… Attorneys Who Care
Once you get in a truck accident, you may only have one opportunity to get the justice you deserve. Don’t leave it to chance, and choose to work with us at Broadwing Legal. Our team of experienced attorneys will be by your side every step of the way. We are always just a phone call away with 24/7 access. We won’t stop fighting until you are satisfied.
You couldn’t control the accident, but with Broadwing Legal, you can control your future. Contact us today to get started.