So it happened: you were hit by a semi truck. Thankfully you’re still around to read this blog post! But now you have to figure out how to handle this life-changing event. We’re here as truck accident attorneys to provide the information you need. You’re probably looking for semi truck accident settlement calculators, amounts, and verdicts to figure out how much you should be asking for. Or, perhaps you are searching for actual settlement amounts from truck accidents as the medical bills are stacking up, and you’re hoping for relief.
You’ll find many different answers for what the average semi truck accident settlement is because there really isn’t one. The circumstances of each case are so different that averages don’t really help you know what to expect. Settlements range from a few thousand dollars to millions.
So how do you figure out what to ask for? How do you know what’s fair after you’ve been injured and had your life turned upside down? Keep reading for the answers.
What Is a Good Settlement Offer?
A good settlement offer covers all of your past, present, and future bills, paying you for the harm that has been done. Your attorney will help you figure out if the settlement offer is good or not. They will also help you figure out all of the factors that should be considered in the settlement, like:
- How bad your injuries are. If you need long-term medical care like in-home care, physical therapy, or hospital stays, then your settlement will most likely be higher to cover these costs.
- The financial impact. A truck accident can shake your life up for a long time, especially if you had to miss work or are unable to work anymore. Your settlement offer should cover your lost wages, medical bills, auto repair bills, and more.
- What the state laws are. Every state has its own laws that will impact your settlement. For example, in Indiana, claims against the state, city, or county governments will be capped at $700,000 per person involved in the case. So if you were struck by a truck that is owned by the local government, your settlement may be limited.
- The other driver’s negligence. Your settlement will most likely be higher if the other driver was distracted or driving while impaired. Your attorney can help you gather information and evidence.
- Insurance policies and their limits. Many insurance policies have limits on the amount it will pay toward a claim, which may limit the settlement offer you receive.
At Broadwing Legal, we know how a truck accident can change your life. We’re passionate about fighting to get you the justice you deserve. Contact Broadwing Legal if you need help figuring out your settlement and how to get it.
How Much Does a Truck Accident Cost?
$91,125. That was the average cost of a commercial truck accident in 2005, the last year the FMCSA conducted an in-depth analysis. Because of the wide range of factors, costs vary greatly depending on how bad the accident was.
- The average cost of property damage only crashes was $15,144.
- The average cost of each non-fatal injury in a truck accident was $195,258.
- The average cost of a fatal truck crash was $3,604,518.
It’s important to note that these costs don’t include mental health care costs or lost income by friends and family who cared for the injured victims. Also, inflation since 2005 means that these costs would most likely be 30% higher or more in today’s dollars.
How Long Does It Take To Settle a Truck Accident?
Truck accidents can take anywhere from a few months to several years to settle, depending on how complicated your case is. Your semi truck accident case may take longer if you were severely injured, multiple parties are liable, insurance companies are being difficult, or you have significant damages. It will also take longer if the defending party or parties are trying to avoid paying out for your accident. Going to trial will also make your case take longer to wrap up.
Do Semitruck Accidents Go to Trial Often?
Most truck accident cases are settled out of court, but there is a possibility your case may end up in front of a judge. If that happens, you will need an experienced truck accident trial lawyer to help you get the settlement you deserve as quickly as possible.
What Do You Do After a Semitruck Accident? Call Broadwing Legal.
Our intake specialists are available 24/7 so you can get the help you need. Call (317) 854-3388 and you’ll be connected to a professional who cares about you and your case. When you choose Broadwing Legal, you’re doing more than picking a law firm. You’re partnering with a team that will work with you and get you the justice you deserve. Most lawyers don’t know how a truck accident is different from a car accident, but here at Broadwing Legal, we have over 10 years of experience in truck accident law. As a member of the AAJ Trucking Litigation Group and the Academy of Truck Accident Attorneys, we know how to go after a truck accident settlement. You need a lawyer who knows exactly how to fight back, and that’s what you get with Broadwing Legal. Reach out to us today for a free consultation with a trusted Indiana semi accident attorney.